Re: WWD - layman's view

At 18:14 2000-04-29 -0700, Terry W. Colvin wrote:
>As sheer entertainment I enjoyed watching the U.S. WWD Discovery channel
>version.  Dinosaurs with color pattern skin and vocalization added much to
>the overall effect of sampling the dynamics of evolution.
>
>Vocalization existed but the exact variation of tones, pitch, and cycles
>can only be guessed at for most species.  The hollow horns and membranes
>on the head are the only measurable evidence.  Heck, the debate on whether
>or not Neanderthals could converse beyond a few grunts continues today.
>
>Although the WWD web site gives names and images to some of the dinosaurs
>on the show there were many not listed.  The legend bar on the tv screen
>to visit the Discovery web site was distracting I would have liked to see
>the dinosaurs, reptiles, mammals, and birds[?] displayed.
>
>Here is my list of guessed spellings:
>
>Placerias - Permian survivor, size of a cow with short tusks to dig roots
>
>Cynodont - reptile with hair, burrows, young live on milk for three months
>and hunts at night
>
>Postosuchus - large crocodilian reptile that came before dinosaurs
>
>Allosaurus - "lion" of the Jurassic
>
>Lypleurodon - marine giant with large flippers
>
>Coelusuchus - old reptile that lived in Antarctic rivers and forest ponds
>
>BTW, what is this temperate Antarctic forest theory?  Is this a stretching
>of the data to account for fossils found in cold regions?  Did dinosaurs
>migrate with the seasons?
>
>Terry

Certainly there were temperate forests in Antarctica in the Cretaceous and
early Tertiary (at least until the Eocene, and possibly a bit later),
otherwise how would Southern beeches (Nothofagus), Podocarpaceae,
Winteraceae etc. etc. have dispersed between South America and
Australia/New Zealand/New Caledonia?

Tommy Tyrberg