Re: bipedal locomotion

Martin Human asked:

    "...Do we have any record of dino-tracks showing sideways locomotion?"

    I am aware neither of such dinosaur trackways from here in the Early
Cretaceous of Maryland, nor via published sources, that would seem to
describe the kind of thing you have observed in wind-resisting herring
gulls.  There may be others, such as Martin Lockley, who have wider
knowledge and could have heard of this, perhaps.

    However, I have collected a fascinating little three-toed track from the
Early Cretaceous of Maryland, that strongly suggests that the tracker was
moving at a substantially faster-than-walk pace, quickly 'threw on the
brakes', and skidded more than one pes length, during which time the little
dinosaur had ROTATED THE FOOT (or else the whole body?) to quickly stop and
then immediately (seemingly) dash away at roughly 90 degrees out of the
direction from which it had been rushing!  One, naturally, wonders whether
the trackmaker may have suddenly been confronted by something very
frightening.  There are several nice examples of high-speed turns here (by
dinosaurs of various sizes), but these seem to have been made, perhaps,
during more ordinary chase or flee episodes.

    Ray Stanford