Tuataras (was RE: turtle origins?)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> ekaterina amalitzkaya
>
> In the Hedges paper on turtle phylogeny the sphenodon was moved up to the
> archosauromorph clade too. Has this position for the tuataras and their
> extinct kin showed up in non-molecular trees?

I can't say that I know the sphenodontian literature that well, but I can't
recall a recent morphological study that puts these guys as anything other
than closer to squamates than to archosaurs.  In molecular trees they have
bounced around a lot.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742