Western U.S. (Part Deux)

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who pointed me in the direction of resources for my talk. Thank you very much. I have been quite busy with work, so I haven't had to time to go out and get them yet, but I should be able to on Monday. Anyways, your help has been much appreciated.
However, another question comes up while reading Renyolds and Jenney's paper. On one map of the Western U.S., they show a chunk of continent labeled "Cordilleran Miogeocline." I am at a loss for if this is a submerged or above-water level feature. In their explaination of the drawing, they do not mention anything about it's origins. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help here. Thanks again!
Peace,
Rob
Student of Geology
Northern Arizona University