Re: new Chinese dinosaur names

bh480@scn.org wrote:r.

> Nick is quite correct--the apostrophe is used in pinyin to
> show separate syllables so that xian and xi'an are
> pronounced like "shyen" and "shee-ahn."

Woud you be kind enough to supply a reference for the use of an
apostrophe in pinyin?

Such usage appears in virtually no source that I have come across in
more than 35 years. Is this a recent usage? Or are you conflating two
romanization systems?

Thank you.

ES

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor

Dinosaur Central
Britannica Internet Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site
of the Day. Member of The Paleo Ring

A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer