New Santana theropod

Well, since no one has mentioned this on the list yet (I think), a new theropod from the Santana Formation (Romualdo Member) from Araripina region (precise locality unknown) is described (not named) by Martill, Frey, Sues and Cruickshank, 2000.

It has almost the same material that Santanaraptor has (partial ilium, pubis, ischium, femora, distal ends of fibula and tibia, sacral vertebrae), but the elements aren’t the same shape. Also they believe there might be remnants of a segment of a lithified intestinal tract and a postpubic air sac.

More internal guts of dinosaurs.

Martill, David M., Eberhard Frey, Hans-Deuter Sues, and Arthur R. I. Cruickshank, 2000. Skeletal remains of a small theropod dinosaur with associated soft structures from the Lower Cretaceous Santana Formation of northeastern Brazil. Can. J. Earth Sci., Volume 37: 891-900.

Tracy