Re: new Chinese dinosaur names

Thank you for the helpful references on apostrophes and pinyin

Apparently this is a more recent usage as it never appeared and was, in
fact, frowned upon in the ancient days when I studied this.

In the case of the cited xian and xi'an, we would have written it xian
and xi an with no apostrophe. Of course, this is a problem of
romanization over the actual Chinese character. The native reader of
Chinese would encounter the characters as different hanzi to begin with
and visually the difference would be crystal clear.

Even so, it seems to me that this is an uncommon usage: that is to say,
it is used only in very specialized cases and, perhaps, not universally
(by inadvertant elision).

One wonders, then, if it would ever appear in a "proper name" for a
dinosaur in any form of English romanization or transliteration.

ES

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor

Dinosaur Central
Britannica Internet Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site
of the Day. Member of The Paleo Ring

A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer