Re: Cooperation between amateurs and professionally...

At 08:54 AM 8/10/00 -0500, Jeffrey Martz wrote:
There is a huge amount of overlap between your definitions. Professionals do field work and collect specimens too, amateurs sometimes publish, and degreed professionals in paleontology don't always get paid money, but amateur collectors might.

The usual definition of "professional" in other fields is somebody who gets paid to do something, and an amateur is somebody who does it as a hobby.

Using the "degreed" definition, *I* might be considered a professional, as I have a pair of degrees in biology.