Re: All Those Pretty Birdies....

Dear Jaime,

At 15:14 12-08-2000 -0700, you wrote:
>  It seems that lately, you can go to El Brete, or Las
>Hoyas, or Sihetun, or some other lagerstatten, and
>just find a new genus and species of bird. Or three.
>Hou Lian-Hai has 5 to his credit for 1997 alone.
>
>  Can those birdie-types out there supply me with
>references for the following avians? Any help would be
>appreciated most sincerely. Especially those newer
>post-1990 discoveries in Dzharakhuduk and Liaoning....
>
>  *Boluochia*         Zhou, 1995
Zhonghe Zhou, 1995: Discovery of a New Enantiornithine Bird from the Early
Cretaceous of Liaoning, China: Vertebrata PalAsiatica 33(2): 108-113

>  *Cathayornis*       Zhou, Jin, and Zhang, 1992
Zhonhe Zhou, Fan Jin & Jiang Yong Zhang, 1992: Preliminary Report on a
Mesozoic Bird from Liaoning, China: Chinese Science Bulletin 37: 1365-1368

>  *Chaoyangia*        Hou and Zhang, 1993

Lianhai Hou & Jiangyong Zhang, 1993: A New Fossil Bird from Lower Cretaceous
of Liaoning: Vertebrata Palasiatica 31: 217-224

>  *Concornis*         Sanz and Buscalioni, 1992

J.L. Sanz & A.D. Buscalioni, 1992: A New Bird from the Early Cretaceous of
Las Hoas, Spain, and the Early Radiation of Birds: Palaeontology 35: 829-845

>  *Cuspirostriornis*  Hou, 1997

Lianhai Hou, 1997: Mesozoic Birds of China: Natou, Taiwan: Taiwan Feng Huang
Gu Bird Garden

>  *Eoenantiornis*     Hou, Martin, Zhou, and Feduccia, 1999

Lianhai Hou, Larry D. Martin, Zhonghe Hou, & Alan Feduccia, 1999:
Archaeopteryx to Opposite Birds - Missing Link from the Mesozoic of China:
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 37: 88-95

>  *Gurilynia*         Kurochkin, 1999

Yevgeniy Nikolayevic Kurochkin, 1999: A New Large Enantiornithid from the
Upper Cretaceous of Mongolia (Aves, Enantiornithes): Russian Academy of
Sciences, Proceedings of the Zoological Institute 277: 130-141

>  *Horezmavis*        Nessov and Borkin, 1983

Lev Aleksandrovich Nessov & L.J. Borkin, 1983: [New Records of Bird Bones
from Cretaceous of Mongolia and Middle Asia]: Trudy Zoologicheskogo
Instituta Akademii Nauk SSSR 116: 108-110

>  *Iberomesornis*     Sanz and Bonaparte, 1992

J.L. Sanz & José F. Bonaparte, 1992: A New Order of Birds (Class Aves) from
the Lower Cretaceous of Spain: in Papers in Avian Paleontology Honoring
Pierce Brodkorb pg. 38-49, ed: Jonathan J. Becker: Science series No 36,

>  *Judinornis*        Nessov and Borkin, 1983

Lev Aleksandrovich Nessov & L.J. Borkin, 1983: [New Records of Bird Bones
from Cretaceous of Mongolia and Middle Asia]: Trudy Zoologicheskogo
Instituta Akademii Nauk SSSR 116: 108-110

>  *Kuszholia*         Nessov, 1992

Lev Aleksandrovich Nessov, 1992: [Record of the Localities of Mesozoic and
Paleogene with Avian Remains in the USSR, and the description of New
Findings]: Russian Journal of Ornithology 1: 7-50

>  *Kyzylkumavis*      Nessov, 1984

Lev Aleksandrovich Nessov, 1984: Upper Cretaceous Pterosaurs and Birds from
Central Asia: Paleontological Journal, USA 18: 38-49

>  *Liaoningornis*     Hou, 1997

Lianhai Hou, 1997: A Carinate Bird from the Upper Jurassic of Western
Liaoning, China: Chinese Science Bulletin 42(5): 413-417

>  *Liaoxiornis*       Hou and Chen, 1999

Lianhai Hou & Peiji Chen, 1999: Liaoxiornis delicatus gen. et sp. nov., the
Smallest Mesozoic Bird: Chinese Science Bulletin 44: 834-838

>  *Longchengornis*    Hou, 1997

Lianhai Hou, 1997: Mesozoic Birds of China: Natou, Taiwan: Taiwan Feng Huang
Gu Bird Garden

>  *Longirostriornis*  Hou, 1997

Lianhai Hou, 1997: Mesozoic Birds of China: Natou, Taiwan: Taiwan Feng Huang
Gu Bird Garden

>  *Otogornis*         Hou, 1994

LianHai Hou, 1994: A Late Mesozoic Bird from Inner Mongolia: Vertebrata
PalAsiatica 32: 264-266

>  *Songlingornis*     Hou, 1997

Lianhai Hou, 1997: Mesozoic Birds of China: Natou, Taiwan: Taiwan Feng Huang
Gu Bird Garden

>  *Zhyraornis*        Nessov, 1984
>
>  Also the reference for the multiple species of
>*Confuciusornis*?

Lianhai Hou, 1997: Mesozoic Birds of China: Natou, Taiwan: Taiwan Feng Huang
Gu Bird Garden (But also see Luis M. Chiappe, Ji Shu'an, Ji Qiang & Marc A.
Norell, 1999: Anatomy and Systematics of the Confuciusornithidae (Theropoda:
Aves) from the Late Mesozoic of Northeastern China: Bulletin of the American
Museum of Natural History 242: 3-89

(But not *C. sanctus* [got that] or
>*Changchengornis*.)

Hope this answers your question?