RE: did I miss any????? (hunting dromaeosaur references)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Gigi and Ralph
>
> Regarding the _Troodon_ nest article, _Troodon_ is not considered to be a
> dromaeosaur, although it may have been a Patty-Duke-like cousin.

Actually, _Troodon_ is really NOT as dromaeosaur-like as it was restored in
the 1980s and early 1990s. For one thing, troodontid arms are quite short
(shorter than in most maniraptorans and ornithomimosaurs), despite the fact
that older illustrations give them long, _Deinonychus_-like arms.

Also, here are four very important recent papers on dromaeosaurid anatomy
and paleontology:
Barsbold, R. & H. Osmolska.  1999.  The skull of _Velociraptor_ (Theropoda)
from the Late Cretaceous of Mongolia.  Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 44:
189-219.

Brinkman, D.L., R.L. Cifelli & N.J. Czaplewski.  1998.  First occurrence of
_Deinonychus antirrhopus_ (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Antlers Formation
(Lower Cretaceous: Aptian-Albian) of Oklahoma.  Oklahoma Geological Survey
Bulletin 146: 1-27.

Norell, M.A. & P.J. Makovicky.  1997.  Important features of the dromaeosaur
skeleton: information from a new specimen.  American Museum Novitates 3215:
1-28.

Norell, M.A. & P.J. Makovicky.  1999.  Important features of the
dromaeosaurid skeleton II: information from newly collected specimens of
_Velociraptor mongoliensis_.  American Museum Novitates 3282: 1-45.

Hope these help.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742