Re: Rock'n'roll !

In a message dated 8/10/00 5:59:58 PM EST, jeffmartz@earthlink.net writes:

<< Not as you defined it. You only invoke priority when a name has been
 applied to a particular taxon. Should we start calling Camarosaurus
 "Iguanodon" just because its an older name? >>

Actually, the priority rule doesn't apply in the case of Aves versus
Ornithosuchia, since neither taxon is covered under ICZN rules. Prevailing
usage might apply, but basically it's anything goes for suprafamilial taxa. I
don't have to pay attention to who defined Ornithosuchia, nor does anyone
have to pay attention to my definition of Aves. Fun situation. Perhaps one of
these days Phylocode or some other system will satisfy enough people to be
adopted by the biological community and this will cease to be a problem.