Re: Rock'n'roll !

Another way to define the class Aves is "all vertebrates closer to modern birds than to modern croocodylians," crocodylians being birds' extant sister group. Then >all< the dinosaurs become basal birds.<<<

And all pterosaurs too (ornithodira is closer to birds than crocs)? This doesn't actually bother me any, as it would more acurately reflect evolution and morphological diversity, but is there a preexisting cladistic definition for Aves that would have to be disregarded? In not, someone write that puppy up, although I don't know how ornithologists will react to thinking of pterosaurs as basal birds...

Scott