Re: Phylogeny vs. taxonomy, and the Fightin' Dinos exhibit at AMNH (was RE: Rock'n'roll !)

One comment about the lighting at the AMNH fighting dinosaurs exhibit. The
exhibit is designed quite nicely for anyone interested in taking photos
because the lack of ambient light (and windows) eliminates virtually all
reflections on the glass cases surrounding many of the specimens. This is
not the case in the AMNH main dinosaur hall where the great abundance of
ambient light and windows make it nearly impossible to get a clear photo of
any of the specimens, almost all of which are positioned behind protective
glass dividers. So, in regard to the design of the fighting dinosaur
exhibit, I have to commend Norell for taking this into consideration.

Unfortunately, the two specimens that are nearly impossible to photograph
very well are the fighting dinosaurs themselves. They are enclosed in a
glass box and you can't really get a clear shot of the entire thing unless
you were suspended overhead by about ten feet. Close-ups are possible, but
the entire span of the specimen is difficult to capture on film without
getting the corners and edges of the glass enclosure.

--Thom Holmes
dinosaur author at large