Re: Rock'n'roll !

In a message dated 8/9/00 8:35:38 PM EST, scott_hartman@hotmail.com writes:

<< So as I see it, strict cladistics comes closest to preserving the
 traditionalist view of birds, since they are then dinosaurs in the same way
 you are a vertebrate.  If we are going to attempt to preserve the linnean
 system (I wouldn't) then it has to mean something, in which case there is
 really no way to save class Aves. >>

Another way to define the class Aves is "all vertebrates closer to modern
birds than to modern croocodylians," crocodylians being birds' extant sister
group. Then >all< the dinosaurs become basal birds.