Re: Phylogeny vs. taxonomy, and the Fightin' Dinos exhibit at AMNH (was RE: Rock'n'roll !)

In a message dated 8/9/00 4:07:14 PM, tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

<< But Eric, you did not say "pretty much the same thing".

Ken is writing that he would agree that birds are the descendants of
dinosaurs (a statement of phylogeny), but that it is inappropriate to
classify birds as a type of dinosaur (a statement of taxonomy).

You argued that birds are not the descendants of dinosaurs: again, a
statement of phylogeny >>

Don't you hate it when people use other people's misquotes of what you
allegedly said against you? I said that was possible that birds might be
dinosaur decendants, and that it was possible that maniraptors weren't
dinosaurs but "dinomimids" closely related to birds. This was during the
Losgmata(sic) discussion, in which someone very angrilly chastised me for
stating that someone should mount an expedition to find another one.

eric l.