Re: Mystery: Who was John Moore?

Ken Kinman recently informed me of a John B. Moore, a prominent law professor
at Columbia University, who retired in 1924 and died in 1947.

Could this John Moore be the same John Moore that Osborn personalized his book
to?

To me, it makes sense for several reasons.  First off, the book lists Osborn as
a research professor of geology at Columbia.  Perhaps Moore and Osborn were
colleagues and friends, and Osborn gave Moore a copy of his book as a Christmas
present.

Plus, as a prominent lawyer, Moore would certainly have an interest in the
evolution debate, the subject of Osborn's book.

This brings me to my latest question on the issue: does anybody know if John B.
Moore, the Columbia law professor, was at all involved in the evolution debate
of the 1920's??  If so, perhaps we have solved the mystery.

Looks like a good lead...

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct