Re: Stegosaurus Defense

paul sparks wrote:

> Ya now ask me how the meateater know these odds. I guess when daddy went off
> to the hunt for stegosaurus and never came back it would sink in. I would be
> interested in a paper addressing how a walnut size brain figures all this
> out. But think they did.

Taking this scenario literally, it would only sink in if daddy told the family
he was after a Stegosaurus before he set off.

Of course, one could imagine that Allosaurs learned by observation: they see
daddy get spiked and decide that plate-backed things with spikey tails are best
avoided. Or maybe the kids see that daddy doesn't hunt Stegosaurs, so they
don't
either. OTOH, if you just imagine that there are some Allosaurs who are wired
be nervous of Stegs, and some who are not, then provided that Stegs are
sufficiently dangerous natural selection will favour those who are
Stegosaurus-averse, and no great reasoning power on the part of the therapod is
required (I think it was Karl Popper who said that the advantage of
intelligence
was that your ideas could die instead of you).

However, I don't see how you could test any of these scenarios from the fossil
record (unless we find a note saying "Gone to catch a Stegosaur for dinner -
back soon" :-)

Alan