HINDLIMB-TRUNK RATIOS

Thanks to Tom for news on...

Jones, T.D., J.O. Farlow, J.A. Ruben, D.M. Henderson & W.J.
Hillenius. 2000.  Cursoriality in bipedal archosaurs.  Nature 406: 716-
718.

One thing I was hoping to ask at SVP when Ruben unveiled this
analysis was.... where do alvarezsaurids fit? Reportedly, they have the
longest hindlimb to trunk length of any theropod that is not
unambiguously avian. On the plot, I wonder, would they therefore
group closer to birds than does _Caudipteryx_. If they did (can
someone please test this:)), then are alvarezsaurids (according to this
test) birds - Ruben et al. have previously argued that they are not.

Onto something else, have just seen the following...

Salgado, L. 1999. The macroevolution of the Diplodocimorpha
(Dinosauria; Sauropoda): a developmental model. _Ameghiniana_ 36:
203-216.

Damn fine stuff. Dicraeosaurids are paedomorphic; diplodocids
peramorphic. New reconstruction of _Amargasaurus_  and lots of
other stuff.

(BTW Tom, please respond to my post about the cervicals)

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building