SMALL CRETACEOUS PTEROSAURS

Allan Smith wrote...

> Can anyone tell me what the smallest Cretaceous pterosaur was?
> How close to the end of the Jurassic did the small pterosaurs like P.
> kochi and P. antiquus live. I am trying to make a case for small
> pterosaurs roosting on the backs of Creataceous dinos for a diorama
> that I am working on.

Not quite sure I agree with what you are doing: coming up with a
reconstructed scenario and then trying to find the evidence for it (heavy
shades of WWD). It's also a very unlikely idea. Nevertheless... Lower
Cretaceous China has the diminutive pterosaurs _Dendrorhynchoides_
(which appears to be an anurognathid not unlike _Anurognathus_) and
_Eosipteras_ (which might be a ctenochasmatoid). Both would have
had wingspans of around 60 cm or less and would be pretty much the
same size as 'typical' small Jurassic pterosaurs like _Pterodactylus_.

"We all have a dark side - we all wanna shine so bright" - Jedi Wannabe

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building