Re: maniraptor eggs

Ken Kinman wrote:

<<Dear all,
      I still have yet to get any response from either Feduccia or Martin
concerning the egg microstructure evidence (ornithoid only in maniraptors
and early birds).  However, "Cal King" (that anonymous defender of
Feduccia's ideas) posted the response given below.  I am at a disadvantage,
not having access to Carpenter's books, so I don't whether I should take
seriously this claim of "uncertainty" over whether these really are theropod
eggs in these nests.  Is there real "reasonable" doubt, or is this more like
saying "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit"?

                      ----------Ken
P.S.  Did they examine the microstructure in the eggshell of that Jurassic
egg found by a 4-year-old in New Mexico.  If so, was it ornithoid?  I
assumed that is how they determined it to be a theropod egg.
"Cal" said:
    There is dispute and considerable uncertainty over the ownership of the
eggs.  Toomey cited several references for the identity of the eggs. I find
them wanting. The identity of the Oviraptor "nests" remains problematic
because this "nest" contains unidentified (assumed dromaeosaurid) remains of
another species which Feduccia (1999) claims not to be dromaeosaurid,
because a baby Velociraptor has theropod teeth but the skulls found in the
Oviraptor nest do not. Carpenter (1999) says little concerning the identity
of the supposed Troodon eggs. So this reference is no help. The other
reference Toomey cited was out of my reach behind the reference desk (I had
no library card). Feduccia (1999) disputes the claims that the eggs belong
to Oviraptor. Further, theropod eggs from the Jurassic are apparently
unknown.
That casts considerable doubt as to whether theropods even laid eggs. To
summarize, there is no eggshell evidence until we can positively identify
theropod eggs.

i think some theropod eggshells of undubious nature have been recovered: i remeber of some therizinosauroid embrios (found obviously in their eggs) and of , at least one, allosauroid embrio found in portugal.

these , from what i remember, were surely identified as theropod embrios in their eggs..

hope this helps

filippo