Re: maniraptor eggs

>"Cal" said:
>    There is dispute and considerable uncertainty over the ownership of the
>eggs.  Toomey cited several references for the identity of the eggs. I find
>them wanting. The identity of the Oviraptor "nests" remains problematic
>because this "nest" contains unidentified (assumed dromaeosaurid) remains
of
>another species which Feduccia (1999) claims not to be dromaeosaurid,
>because a baby Velociraptor has theropod teeth but the skulls found in the
>Oviraptor nest do not. Carpenter (1999) says little concerning the identity
>of the supposed Troodon eggs. So this reference is no help. The other
>reference Toomey cited was out of my reach behind the reference desk (I had
>no library card). Feduccia (1999) disputes the claims that the eggs belong
>to Oviraptor. Further, theropod eggs from the Jurassic are apparently
>unknown.
> That casts considerable doubt as to whether theropods even laid eggs. To
>summarize, there is no eggshell evidence until we can positively identify
>theropod eggs.

I forward this eggshell post to Ken Carpenter, and got this response:

>   "We DO know theropod eggs conclusively based on associations of embryos
and eggs directly: Troodon in >continuoolithus canadensis, oviraptorid (new
genus) in Macroelongatoolithus xixia; Oviraptor in >Elongatoolithus sp. And
indirectly: Oviraptor among Elongatoolithus eggs (a dozen specimens know
known), >There is also the two entact elongatoolithid eggs in pelvic region
of Sinosauropteryx.  All the eggshell of >these eggs are of the ornithoid,
or avian type. As for Jurassic theropod eggs, embryonic bones of cf.
>Lourinhanosaurus with Preprismatoolithus eggs, which are closes to
ornithoid type eggs. Some of this was >discussed in my book, contrary to
what one has said.

>Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
>Dept. of Earth and Space Sciences
>Denver Museum of Natural History
>2001 Colorado Blvd.
>Denver, CO 80205
>
>Fax: (303)331-6492
>email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org
>            Crpntr@ix.netcom.com

>Please be advised that this email and your reply may be monitored by the
Denver Museum of Nature and >Science.

LNJ
Outlawing drugs in order to solve the drug problem is much like outlawing
sex in order to win the war against AIDS.
-Ronald Siegal

No matter how far you have gone on the wrong road, turn back.
-Turkish proverb
Jeffrey W. Martz
3002 4th St., Apt. C26
Lubbock, TX 79415