"What did dinosaurs really look like..."

The September issue of Discover Magazine features the article "What did
dinosaurs really look like...and will we ever know?" by William Speed Weed.
The focus is  primarily on the what and how of paleo-life reconstructions,
Mark Hallett's and the Fighting Dinosaurs exhibit in particular.  The soft
tissue research that Larry Witmer is currently involved with is also a
highlight.

Two things I took exception to in the article:
1.  "And most scientists say we may never know a lot more than we do now."
(Page 76 on what we know about dinosaurs.)  Most as in who?  Every new fossil
supplies valuable information.  Feathers?  Fossilized hearts and internal
organs anyone?  CT scans?

2.  (On patterns and pigments - p. 78) "By necessity, this reasoning makes
unscientific assumptions about the ability of dinosaur eyes to distinguish
colors and shapes...  We do not know what dinosaurs saw, or if they saw in
color, so we cannot know how they evolved to hide from one another."  Mickey
might have a comment or two on this.

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com