Re: HEADLESS OTHNIELIA

A technical problem prevented this from getting through unaided.  I
edited out some of the quoted text (but don't worry, Bob, I left your
text alone) -- MPR

From: "Bob Peyton" <bobpeyton@bigfoot.com>
To: <rob_redwing@hotmail.com>, <darren.naish@port.ac.uk>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: HEADLESS OTHNIELIA
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:08:42 -0600

"Rob Gay" <rob_redwing@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [I just read] Bone Hunter, by Sarah Andrews. I don't know if anyone
> else on the list has read it, but I found it quite
> interesting. (Matter of fact, I read it in one sitting). Just
> wondering if anyone else had read it, and what they thought of it.

Rob,

I recently read "Bone Hunter" - like you, in one sitting.  I enjoyed it very
much.

My wife and I do volunteer work for the College of Eastern Utah Prehistoric
Museum and have had the privilege of working with many of the people
mentioned in Ms. Andrews "Acknowledgements".  We spend a lot of time digging
for dinos in the San Rafael Swell, the location of much of the action in the
book.  We spend our summers living in and around Price, the location of the
climax of the book. Based on this experience, I feel that Ms. Andrews
potrayal of the people of Utah, good and bad, and her descriptions of the
geology, paleontology, terrain and scenery are right on.

I  hope Ms. Andrews will write a sequel.  Possibily she can use her skills
to bring to life the long hot days clinging to a cliff face with one hand
while manipulating chisel and rock hammer with the other, the excitement of
finding bone after bone concealed under the bone you are trying to collect,
the reality of  long days in the lab chipping away matrix, and the thrill of
seeing the emergence of a bone that no other human has ever seen.

Cheers

Bob Peyton