Re: Gall bladder redux

In a message dated 8/22/00 4:29:12 PM EST, lpd4@cornell.edu writes:

<< I believe rats lack gall bladders. >>

Long ago (1963) I held a summer job in a medical research hospital during
which one of my tasks was dissecting lab rats and removing their livers. (The
livers were instantly frozen in a fluid mixture of alcohol and dry ice, which
solidified them like porcelain, to prevent spoilage.) Their livers divide
into three well-defined sections, and I recall no yellow-green organ among
them. So unless their gall bladders are small or vestigial, or colored
differently from primate gall bladders so as to be unnoticeable, you're right
about rat gall bladders.