Re: 31st International Geological Congress- Brazil

Heinz Peter Bredow wrote-

> Does anybody knows more about this prosauropod?
>
> Octávio Mateus wrote on August 8, 2000:
>
> - Leal et al.- New data on a prosauropod dinosaur from the Late Triassic
of
> Southern Brazil.
>
> Darren Naish wrote on January 4, 2000:
>
> de Azevedo, S. A. K., da Rosa, A. A. S., Boelter, R. A. and Leal, L. A.
> A prosauropod dinosaur from the Late Triassic of southern Brasil.
>
> Fairly decent material (including left maxilla with 12 teeth, rostral
> parts of jaws, pectoral girdles and forelimbs, vertebrae, ribs and
> gastralia) from Agua Negra (close to Santa Maria City) in Rio Grande
> do Sul (this is a Brazilian state if you're wondering). The teeth are
> homodont or weakly heterodont, described as spatulate and with
> coarse, obliquely angled serrations.

Kellner, Azevedo, Rosa, Boelter and Leal, 1999. The occurence of
Prosauropoda in the terrestrial Late Triassic Santa Maria Formation,
Southern Brazil. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 19(3) 57A.

- dentition consists of small spatulate teeth with marginal serrations (2-3
per mm)
- at least three (probably four) premaxillary teeth, twenty dentary teeth
- teeth are closely spaced, slightly asymmetrical, rostral ones positioned
obliquely in respect to tooth row
- tooth morphology differs from thecodontosaurids, plateosaurids and most
melanorosaurids
(as far as I know, only Riojasaurus has teeth preserved among
melanorosaurids, so this statement is confusing.  Teeth of
"Chinshakiangosaurus", "Microdontosaurus" or "Anchisaurus" sinensis
perhaps?)
- frontals long and extend caudally, forming small laterodorsally oriented
process with parietals
- deep depression in caudal part of frontal
- nasal process of maxilla thin and subvertical, similar to Massospondylus
- jaw articulation situated below level of dentary tooth row, but not as
much as in plateosaurids
- rostral dentary with complex morphology with depressions and ridges
- relationships unknown, but definitely a new taxon

Mickey Mortimer