Re: Riddle of the "Smallest": Quantifying "Small"

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:55:11 -0700 (PDT) "Jaime A. Headden"
<qilongia@yahoo.com> writes:

[snip]
>   The smallest ornithopods and allies: hypsilophodonts
> (paraphyletic?) and heterodontosaurs, along with
> "fabrosaurs" produce several light, gracile to robust
> forms barely clearing 3ft. in length. The list is
> rather extensive, so you can just take my word for it
> :) . They include *Heterodontosaurus*, *Lesothosaurus*
> [= *Fabrosaurus*?], *Hypsilophodon*, *Yandusaurus*,
> etc. *Leaellynasaura* and *Drinker* are also
> purportedly ~3ft. long only.

According to Bakker (via Glut's encyclopedia supplement), adult *Drinker*
individuals measured about 300 mm, a little under a foot, making
*Drinker* the shortest known adult ornithischian, and probably the
smallest by mass too.  The preserved section of "Yandusaurus" *multidens*
is a little less than a meter in length, though it's missing a good deal
of its tail.

>   The smallest marginocephalians: psittacosaurids and
> basal neoceratopians are generally quite small. they
> don't exceed 6ft, for example, and at least some
> species of *Psittacosaurus* were around 3ft.,
> including *P. sinensis* and *P. ordosensis.*
> *Archaeoceratops,* *Chaoyangsaurus,* and
> *Microceratops* may have been only between 3-4ft.,
> whereas an undescribed pachycephalosaur [=
> "Microcephale"] is purportedly quite small. Other
> pachycephalosaurs vary between 3-5ft in smallest size,
> including *Goyocephale* (~5ft.) and *Tylocephale* and
> *Prenocephale* (~5.6-6ft.); smaller forms are less
> complete or less determinable as adults.
[snip]

*Archaeoceratops* had a hindlimb length of about 30 cm and a full body
length shy of a meter, around 90 cm (~3 feet).

*Koparion*, a possible troodontid based on teeth, also would have been a
very small animal, although precisely how small is uncertain.  Another
obscure theropod, *Iliosuchus*, based on its partial ilium, would have
probably been less than 1.25 meters (~4 feet) in length.-*Thescelosaurus*