Vestigial horse toes (short comment)

As anyone who has ever cleaned the hooves of a horse knows basically every
horse living today has some vestigial toes left, high up on the leg. I don't
know what they're called in English, but in Dutch they're called the
"zwilwratten". But the ones on old Bonaparte's horse where probably larger,
further down the leg and looked actually like toes, much like that
well-known "What's-their-name-hippus" _Equus_ ancestor that had toes like
that.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Jarno Peschier, postbus@jarno.demon.nl/jarnop@ccs.nl