Re: Hello!..and a question.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:14:37
 Dinogeorge wrote:
>In a message dated 8/24/00 7:52:54 PM EST, raptortalon2@yahoo.com writes:
>
><< and/or Coelophysis sp. remains >>
>
>This would be the type specimen of Podokesaurus holyokensis, found by Mt.
>Holyoke College professor Mignon Talbot and described by her in 1911. The
>headless postcranial specimen was destroyed in a fire in the Mt. Holyoke
>College collection, but casts are available. It seems to be a valid genus of
>small podokesaurid (=coelophysid), probably a juvenile individual, about 1 m
>long. A little dinosaur, though too large to qualify in the "smallest
>dinosaur" sweepstakes.

Yeah, there are three casts still available of Podokesaurus (that I know of) at
the AMNH, the Peabody, and another at the Pratt in Amherst.  Podokesaurus is
one of three known dinosaur body fossils from New England, along with
Ammosaurus and Anchisaurus.  But, indeed, there is a Coelophysis fossil known!
Ah, but another but, the Coelophysis fossil is not a body fossil.

In the early or mid 1900's a strange looking body cast fossil was discovered in
the Portland Brownstone Quarry near Middletown, Connecticut.  None of the
actual bones were preserved, but there were well preserved natural casts of the
tibia, pubis, and some ribs.  The casts match the bones found at Ghost Ranch,
New Mexico, and differ from Podokesaurus.  I believe that this specimen, the
only known Coelophysis fossil of any sort outside the American west, is in the
collections of a Boston Natural History organization.

A display on this specimen is exhibited at the Pratt Museum, near their cast of
Podokesaurus.

In regards to paleontology of the New England states...their early Jurassic
dinosaur footprints bring New England the most fame.  There are several
species, including Eubrontes, Grallator, and Otozoum (the first fossil
footprint identified, back in 1802).  But, Otozoum may actually have come from
a primitive crocodile, much like a Rutidon or Mesoposaurus.

Ammosaurus material can be found in Manchester, Connecticut, but the original
quarry has been covered by a new mall.

Well preserved Ordovician nautiloids, corals, trilobites, crinoids, graptolies,
etc. etc. can be found in parts of Vermont and southern Quebec (not quite New
England).  The world's oldest known coral reef, a 500 million year old beauty,
can be seen on Isle la Motte in Vermont.  Plus, Maine also has a nice Devonian
locale.  This locale is known as the Moose River Sandstone, and yields corals
and other invertebrates.  Up in parts of northern Maine one may find the state
fossil, Petralca (sp.), which was an early vascular plant.

Look for more information, including about 100 photos, on New England
paleontology to be posted on my website soon.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob