Endotherms and reproduction

Hi,

kind of an off-the-wall question: when at school (2MYA) we were taught
that in mammals the male testes are external to the body cavity due to
temperature-sensitivity; they need to be a few degrees cooler than
whatever beasties they belong to. However, birds are endotherms and
don't appear to suffer this constraint, and (to insert relevance) we see
evidence that the dinos may have been endothermic too.

So, (tongue firmly in cheek) can anyone say a) why the need in mammals
vs. any other endothermic creature, or b) can we deduce birds are
actually ectothermic or c) did dinos sport a scrotum?

cheers, martin