Re: Vestigial horse toes (short comment)

What references are we looking at for Naploeon's horse have an unusual
number of toes?

I see no extra hooves on any portrait of any of Napoleon's actual horses
at a collection of napoleonic art at:
http://www.napoleon-prints.com/

info on Napoleon's favorite horse from FINDAGRAVE:
http://findagrave.com/cemeteries/1582.html

Marengo  d. 1832.
     Napoleon's favorite horse. An Arabian horse obtained during the
Egyptian campaign in 1799 after the Battle of Aboukir. Napoleon named
the horse after a victory in Italy and rode it at the Battle of
Austerlitz in 1805 and to Moscow in 1812. Captured after the Battle of
Waterloo in 1815, it was taken to England and put out to stud. After its
death in 1832, the skeleton was articulated by Surgeon Wilmott of the
London Hospital and presented to the Royal United Services Museum, now
the National Army Museum. Two of the hooves were made in to snuf boxes.

(note; no mention of having EXTRA toes being made into snuff boxes-
Betty)

Is this a horse history trivia thing that simply hasn't come my way
before, or is this a very old urban legend?

-Betty Cunningham

Edels wrote:

> Concerning my comment on Napoleon's 3-toed horse:
>
> The toes were not merely bumps on the side of the main toe, they appeared to
> be about 3 or 4 inches (7-10 cm) long, protruding from each side of the main
> toe.  They were not functional, since they appeared about 8-10 inches (20-25
> cm) above the ground.  (This is based on a drawing of the horse that I have
> seen).  I know that at least 2 of the horse's legs had these twos - I don't
> remember if all 4 legs did.
>
> As to whether these toes were "polydactyl-like" mutations - based on the
> location of the toes, I think that these are genuine re-expressed genes, not
> new mutations.

--     --------------
  PALEONEWS the mailing list!
Subscribing and other list information
is at: http://www.paleonews.org
         --------------
Original PALEONEWS list subscribers will
need to electronically RE-SUBSCRIBE as I will
be shutting down the OLD method of handling
PALEONEWS distribution as of
------- September 1st, 2000

If you're not subscribed, you don't get PALEONEWS

Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com/

Captivation Digital Labs
http://www.captivation.com/