Re: Internal Testes (in afrotherians)

  Two oxyurine anatid anserean anseriform
galloansereans with one stone....

Ken Kinman wrote:

<<Just to clarify. Elephants, sirenians, hyraxes, and
desmostylians are only a subclade of afrotherians
(called Uranotheria).>>

snip

<<tenrecs, golden moles, etc.?>>

  Not to quibble. Streamlining for aquatic or
fossorial habits may have forced the goldies to
internalize, but tenrecs may have gone the way of the
cetaceans and done this for water stuff. I do not know
for sure if tenrecs are "innies" or "outies" :) but
suspect the former if not based on comparative
ecology. Internal testes may be basal for mammals, as
I don't recall them being external in monotremes (but
these are both fossorial/aquatic anyway, so there's a
riddle). Someone enlighten me, but I believe that
edentates are also "innies"?

  and Mike Keesey wrote:

<This is getting a bit OT,>

  The list has been a little slow, and I think the
list-gods will indulge us a moment of theriology (lest
the women slap me for using the word 'mammology'...
tongue in cheek.... :) ).

<but ... isn't this taxon called Penungulata or
Paenungulata (Hyracoidea and Tethytheria)?>

  Clarify, but does "Paenugulata" stem from _paene_
{Lat.} nearly, almost + _ungulatus_ {Lat.} hooved,
"Ungulata" = almost ungulates? So many -there clades,
it's ridiculous. Find a new fossil (say
"Eurotriconodon") and it has that appropriate
"moasaic" to "rewrite basal mammalian evolution" that
you have to name a new clade to include and some other
group, so the "Eurotriconodonta" is sister to
"Sinotriconodotoidea" which is sister to
"Habeononegoindiciae", which includes the most recent
common ancestor of "Iscladi" and "Hoccladi."

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden