Re: Internal Testes (in afrotherians)

On the dinosaur mailing list,

T. Mike Keesey wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Ken Kinman wrote:
>
>> Jaime,
>>        Just to clarify.  Elephants, sirenians, hyraxes, and desmostylians
>> are only a subclade of afrotherians (called Uranotheria).
>
>This is getting a bit OT, but ... isn't this taxon called Penungulata or
>Paenungulata (Hyracoidea and Tethytheria)?

Yep, it's spelled Paenungaluta in Grzimek's Animal Encyclopaedia, which is
where I first read about it. In that book, though, the North Pacific
desmostylians were excluded and the African embrithopods (Arsinoitherium)
were tentatively added.

(Speaking of Grzimek, does anyone read it and what is the lastest edition?)

Ken Kinman wrote:

>Jaime,
>       Just to clarify.  Elephants, sirenians, hyraxes, and desmostylians
>are only a subclade of afrotherians (called Uranotheria).  Are internal
>testes also found in other afrotherians (tubulidentates, macroscelidids,
>tenrecs, golden mole, etc.)?

Ken, you're using "Afrotherian" as a geographical term, I presume.

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
Mines and Geosciences Bureau
Philippines