Oviraptorid "Morphs"

  Systematic study of the Oviraptoridae is underway.
There are intents to clarify much of the jumped
specimen identification and content there, and so
there really isn't much I can say. So-called
"long-skulled" morphs and "short-skulled" morphs in
*Ingenia* are essentially difficult to assume because
the braincase that Barsbold (1983) described of
*Ingenia yanshini* (IGM SPS 100/30) is incomplete,
even ventrally, making it difficult to determine the
extent of some key bones. On my website, I had
suggested that IGM MAE 100/973 was a "long, low
skulled" *Ingenia*, but this stems from the original
identification in Dashzeveg et al. 1995 (_Nature_374:
446-449 [p. 448]), and Webster's 1996 Nat. Geo.
article [March]. The _Discovering Dinosaurs_ book
features a beautiful half-page photo of the skull,
used in the formal article (Dash et al.).

  Identification of *Ingenia* is difficult as well.
*Oviraptor* is a misidentified jumble, with two genera
being removed from it (one is not official), and
further material from Ukhaa Tolgod and Bayn Dzak is
resolving what precisely Ovi is, and what specimens
may be removed based on morphology. Doubtless sexual
dimorphism is being considered in such "extravagant"
animals. *Conchoraptor* has also had material
misidentified, and both the type specimens of *O.
mongoliensis* [=Rinchenia] and *I. yanshini* have
non-homogenous material referable to *Inegnia* or
*Conchoraptor* [respectively].

  So specimen identification must be carried out
before taxonomy can be applied to figure out what
belongs to which form, and what represent new forms.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden