From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: <kinman@hotmail.com>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: RE: Troodon eggs
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:35:02 -0400

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Ken Kinman
>
> I have not yet read the paper cited below, but wonder if
> anyone knows
> if their conclusions have been challenged. Particularly the conclusion that the "non-ornithoid" eggs they found are troodontids.

Would be difficult to discount, as these eggs contain embryonic remains of
troodontids...

> They
> apparently also
> reject the Troodon identification of ornithoid eggs found earlier in
> Montana.

Yes. Basically, the eggs long identified as from _Orodromeus_ in fact belong
to _Troodon_ (see Horner & Weishampel 1996. Nature 383: 103). From the
Varricchio et al. paper:
"Additionally, the tentative assignment of Two Medicine ornithoid-ratite
egs with a dispersituberculate surface to ?_Troodon_ (...) is incorrect.
These eggs remain unassignable to a specific dinosaur taxon."

Off the top of my head, I would speculate those eggs might be
_Chirostenotes_ or _Ricardoestesia_, among named dinosaurs.

              Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
              Vertebrate Paleontologist
Department of Geology          Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
University of Maryland         College Park Scholars
              College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Phone: 301-405-4084    Email:  tholtz@geol.umd.edu
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661      Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796