Cf. vs. Aff.

  Correct me if I'm wrong here:

  Cf.: from _confer_, (Lat.) > _confero_ (Lat.) bring
together, add, join, compare, refer, etc.

  To take a specimen and associate it with an
identified taxonomic form, so that cf. *Allosaurus*
would have to take this specimen and compare it with
*Allosaurus*, but perhaps not that it _is_
*Allosaurus.* Saying that it was *Allosaurus*, and the
more definate version, of _confer_, would be adding a
"sp." (= species, and pronounced this way) at the end.

  Aff.: from _affinis_ (Lat.) neighbouring, adjacant,
related to.

  To take a specimen and suggest it is related, but
not referable in any way, to another taxonomic form,
so that aff. *Allosaurus* might look similar, but that
certin features preclude it from referal in a great
many cases (such as a smaller or absent pubic boot,
robust teeth, no cranial ornamentation or a single
nasal crest?). Saying that it might be a new genus of
allosaurid close to Allo, such as was previously
thought of *Neovenator* (after you took it out of
*Megalosaurus;* Just because it was found in English
Weald sediments [Vectis F.? And correct me if I'm
wrong, I don't have the paper] doesn't make it a megalosaur...).

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden