Re: Response to Gould?

Birds are the living descendants of dinosaurs, but different enough that I won't go as far as to say they ARE living dinosaurs. I don't find it the slightest bit surprising that many other people see it the same way. Can be as irritating as someone saying "termites ARE cockroaches" or "fleas ARE scorpionflies".
As for Gould's viewpoints, I agree with most of Simon Conway Morris' criticisms. An overabundance of intricate but simplistic verbiage often tends to overwhelm anything important Gould might be trying to say.
My two cents, Ken
From: Larry Dunn <majestic_cheese@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Response to Gould?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:51:14 -0800 (PST)

Because S.J. Gould's viewpoint on things is so
respected, and usually expressed in a very persuasive
and accessible way, it might be helpful if some of the
paleontologists on the list with opposing viewpoints
draft a response letter to the magazine.  Has anyone
considered doing so?

I am already having people deride me for calling birds
"living dinosaurs."  One person just came into my
office, dropped the magazine on my desk with the page
turned to Gould's article, and then left in disgust.  Help!

=====
Larry

"Catapultam habeo. Nisi Pecuniam omnen mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam."