Re: Rocasaurus

Tuesday, November 28, 2000 Jaime A. Headden wrote:
-----------------
>Mike Keesey wrote:
>
>Titanosauridae) de la provincia de Río Negro (Formacion Allen,
>Cretácico superior), Patagonia, Argentina. Ameginiana 37(3). 259-
264>

> Might be a little confusing, but at least with the ICZN 1966
>edition,
>it won't have to be renamed for sake of *Roccosaurus.* Any details?
>Yet
>more dinos from the Allen....

This animal, Rocasaurus muniozi was named this year (2000) by the
paleontologist Leonardo Salgado of the Univeridad Nacional del
Comahue. This animal was named after General Roca city, nearly to the
locality when it was found.

The formation allen is exposed in a few localities, like Salitral
Moreno, Bajo de Santa Rosa, Cerro Blanco, Islas Malvinas, Etc. Some
Dinosaurs from the Formation Allen are:

Aeolosaurus sp.
Rocasaurus muniozi
Sauropoda indet.
Theropoda indet.
Hadrosauridae indet.
Lambeosaurinae unnamed
Nodosauridae indet.

I'm working in a web page about South American Dinosaurs (In
Spanish), specially about Cretaceous Formations of South America. If
you want more information about this send me a mail.

Ruben D. Juarez Valieri
rbenglo@topmail.com.ar