Re: Last of the Pterosaurs

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Bensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: <dinomcdevitt@yahoo.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: Last of the Pterosaurs

> >>The long-tailed
> pterosaurs all died out  at the end of the Jurassic,
> but the short-tailed pterosaurs, the pterodactyloids,
> survived and went from strength to strength. After
> the Jurassic came the Cretaceous Period. It was warmer
> and sea levels rose to cover much of the land.
> Continets slowly drifted across the globe, crashed
> into each other and gradually formed huge moutain
> ranges. The pterodactyloids made the most of these new
> conditions.<<
>
> Isn't the current theory that Cretaceous pterosaurs were so large
> because birds pushed them out of all the small-flier niches?
>

> >> Quetzalcoatlus was so big that it could not
> have taken off without help from the winds whistling
> through the mountains and canyons of Texas, USA. Once
> in the air, it could glide on the air currents for a
> long time.<<
>
> I doubt that any animal could survive if its mobility was so utterly
> dependent on something as capricious as wind.  Who was that who did a
> study of pterosaur anatomy and how those animals could have lifted off?
> Didn't they use Quetzalcoatlus for that study?
>
> Dan
> Dear Dan and list,

    An upcoming issue of National Geographic covers the topic of
Quatzalcoatlus flight. My death would be neither quick nor painless if I
revealed anything I know, but I can say that those that feel a multi-hundred
pound pterosaur could become airborn only with the help of a strong gust of
wind, or after hauling itself up to a convenient cliff and jumping off, are
in for a surprise.
    I will be able to say more after the article is printed, or the duct
tape deteriorates. Whichever comes first.

Sincerely,

Cliff Green