a rose by any other name(was fish & dogs)

The 4th graders with whom I spoke today were intrigued by the idea that shared skeletal features, and possible behavioral ones were the reasons some scientists considered birds to be a type of dinosaur.   But they were not convinced.....   kids comments are paraphrased below....

 ----So if ONLY dinosaurs have the hole in the hip, how come we think of them as reptiles..... and I do not think birds are reptiles....perhaps birds and dinosaurs should both be called something else......

another student piped in with

-----Yeah.  They  changed the Brontosaurus' name. Why not make a new name for dinobirds....or maybe just the dinosaurs that are like birds.

Just figured I'd add their voices to the clamor......

: ) Jenny

Jenny Lando
Assistant Coordinator
Moveable Museum/Paleontology of Dinosaurs
Education Department
American Museum of Natural History
CPW @ 79th Street
NYC NY 10024