Re: Response to Gould?

In a message dated 12/1/00 9:18:05 PM, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< I don't see why calling birds dinosaurs would make you any less
comfortable
than calling fleas insects, or arthropods, or protostomes, or metazoans. >>

Because "dinosaur" has a specific vernacular meaning. Dinosaurs are giant
extinct monsters from an impossibly long time ago. Okay, some dinosaur
fossils are quite small, but they are still from the lost world of the
Mesozoic. Dinosaurs are from a specific time period that is not our own, they
are the "terrible lizards" of the imagination that haunt the dreams of
children and those who remember being children.

Birds are not these things, for robins and ostriches haunt far different
dreams and live in the same world we do. People are primates but are not
australopithecine's, for australopithecines are from a specific time only and
are all gone.

The common image that comes to mind is important

eric l.