Re: Last of the Pterosaurs

Rob Gay wrote:

<I seem to remember seeing some show in the late 80's (i think), where
they made a flapping model of this animal. I don't remember how they
got it into the air.>

  I'm not a "pterosaurologist," but I think i can answer this readily
enough. This would be MacCready's mechanic design and Greg Paul's art
design ... and worked perfectly, modelling that Quetz could fly [at
half-scale from Q. northropi], but not how it got off the ground, which
had to be launched by a remote plane. Read:

Paul, G.S. 1987. Pterodactyl habits -- Real and radio-controlled.
_Nature_ 328: 481.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden