Atomosphere (Last of the Pterosaurs

>>In today's
atmosphere, sink rate at best L/D would appear to have been on the
approximate order of 105-120 feet per minute.<<

Not that the Q thread isn't interesting, but I would like to go further into
the atmosphere.  HP JimC mentioned a different atmosphere back in the
Mesozoic then there is today.  I've heard that theory before (in Jurassic
Park, I think) and I want to know the rationale behind it.  I suppose it
makes sense that the Earth is bleeding off atmosphere, but do we really have
Mesozoic air samples?

Dan