Dinosaur Genera List corrections #151

Three corrections have accumulated in the past two months and only now have I
had the time to prepare this email. I did update the Genera List itself,
however, and in fact I've even begun to completely revamp my home page. Among
other things, the Genera List is now on its own separate page, so that you
can go there directly with one click from the top of my home page, without
having to scroll through the other stuff; or bookmark it at the URL given at
the end of this message. Eventually some of that interesting "other stuff"
(status reports, publication descriptions, etc.), revised and updated, will
reappear on other pages, but in the meantime I've removed it all, leaving
just three ads (all now illustrated) for the brand-new Japanese dinosaur
publication Dino Press #1, for Mesozoic Meanderings #3 (fewer than 60 copies
remain of the print run), and for my perennially for sale Apatosaurus model.
The Dino Press ad is new as of November, and editor Masaaki Inoue would
greatly appreciate it if every dinosaur-lover in the world would order a copy
of this handsome new publication, the lineal descendant of his previous
magazine, Dino-Frontline.

Here are the DGL corrections (many thanks to Tom Holtz, T. Mike Keesey, and
Adam Yates for these bits of information):

[1] The genus Ilokelesia is no longer a nomen nudum. It's description
appeared in the Gaia theropod volume:

Coria, R. A. & Salgado, L., 2000. "A basal Abelisauria Novas 1992
(Theropoda-Ceratosauria) from the Cretaceous of Patagonia, Argentina," in B.
P. Perez-Moreno, T. R. Holtz, Jr., J. L. Sanz & J. Moratalla, eds., Aspects
of Theropoda Paleobiology, Gaia 15: 89-102 [cover dated December 1998 but
published in the autumn of 2000; 403 pp.].

so change its listing to:

Ilokelesia Coria & Salgado, 2000 (not 1998)

And its listing in the to-be-updated Mesozoic Meanderings #3, under South
American dinosaurs, becomes:

Ilokelesia Coria & Salgado, 2000 (not 1998)
    = Ilokelesia Coria & Salgado vide Coria, 1999 [nomen nudum]
    I. aguadagrandensis Coria & Salgado, 2000 (not 1998)â

I have not yet seen the Gaia theropod volume, but according to Tom Holtz, who
has, the genus is classified as a basal abelisaurian sister group to
Abelisauridae + Noasauridae.

[2] Add the new genus Rocasaurus to the List as genus #895:

Rocasaurus Salgado & Azpilicueta, 2000

The citation is:

Salgado, L. & Azpilicueta, C., 2000. "Un nuevo saltasaurino (Sauropoda,
Titanosauridae) de la provincia de RÃo Negro (Formacion Allen, CretÃcico
superior), Patagonia, Argentina," Ameghiniana 37(3): 259-264.

I haven't seen the paper yet, but T. Mike Keesey (via Ruben D. Juarez
Valieri) says the genus is early Maastrichtian or Campanian-Maastrichtian and
is known from "much material."

So to the South American dinosaurs of Mesozoic Meanderings #3 we add:

Rocasaurus Salgado & Azpilicueta, 2000
    R. muniozi Salgado & Azpilicueta, 2000â

[3] Finally, the ceratopian genus Graciliceratops is no longer a nomen nudum,
having been described in the just-released The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and
Mongolia. The citation is:

Sereno, P. C., 2000. "The fossil record, systematics and evolution of
pachycephalosaurs and ceratopsians from Asia," in M. J. Benton, M. A.
Shishkin, D. M. Unwin & E. N. Kurochkin, eds., The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia
and Mongolia, Cambridge University Press: 480-516.

Yet another book I haven't yet seen. So the listing for Graciliceratops is
revised to:

Graciliceratops Sereno, 2000

and the listing for the genus in the Asiatic Dinosaurs section of Mesozoic
Meanderings #3 is revised to:

Graciliceratops Sereno, 2000
    = Graciliceratops Forster & Sereno, 1997 [nomen nudum]
    G. mongoliensis Sereno, 2000â

It is based on a partial skeleton previously referred to Microceratops
gobiensis, whose type specimen Sereno redescribes as an indeterminate
juvenile, making the genus Microceratops a nomen dubium. I'll have to read
the paper itself to see whether I would agree with his assessment.

The Dinosaur Genera List is at

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/dinolist.html

and my Dinogeorge home page is still at

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/index.html