CHINA, QUETZALCOATLUS AND SOME OTHER STUFF

CHINA
Caleb Lewis wrote:
I have a concern I would like to voice about the whole Chinese fossil boom
thing. It seems to me that there have been a surprising number of
"revolutionary" bird-dino missing links found in China (don't take me too
literally on the wordage there). Considering that one of them was found to
be
a fraud (even though it managed to masquerade as real for as long as it
did),
this raised serious questions in my mind between the fossils coming out of
China, the timetable of which they have come out, and both in relation to
the
type of government they have there. It seems questionable to me that all
these
really magnificent fossils of very similar nature have come out all so close
together (correct me if I'm wrong.
)

Well, I think a lot of what is making the "dinobirds" from Liaonang Province
so famous (their feathers) is due to the preservation, and the environment
they died.  If, for example, Dromaeosaurus and Saurornitholestes and
Chirostenotes etc had all been found in similar sediments as those earlier
dinobirds, they would also preserve feathers and dino-fuzz and be just as
revolutionary.

QUETZALCOATLUS
To follow up on a thread from earlier this week (I think), the azhdarcid
models at the MOR are not supposed to be Quetzalcoatlus northropi, but a
smaller azhdarcid, very close to Q. northropi found in Montana.  I *believe*
these represent the fossils that have since been named Montanazhdarco.  Q.
northropi was MUCH MUCH larger than those models.

OTHER STUFF
I would like to thank everyone for making SVP2K a great event, and I
apologize for being so slow in writing people back.  I have been distracted
by some rather disturbing domestic events, that I am sure everyone on the
planet is aware of :-P

Pete Buchholz
Tetanurae@aol.com