Re: Is Euornithes preoccupied?

Jean-michel Benoit wrote-

> Could you tell me what genera and or species of Deinonychosuaria was there
before _Archaeoptreyx_?

A very similar question was asked earlier regarding the earliest
dromaeosaurids.  See
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Nov/msg00253.html and my
follow-up http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Nov/msg00266.html .
Archaeopteryx is Tithonian, so the Jurassic forms listed there are all
either contemporaneous or earlier than Archaeopteryx.  No named genera or
species I'm afraid.  Jurassic non-dromaeosaurid deinonychosaurs could also
include the troodontid Koparion douglassi (Kimmeridgian-Tithonian, Morrison
Formation of Utah), unnamed troodontid teeth from Guimarota, Portugal
(Kimmeridgian), troodontid-like teeth from the Bathonian of England and the
indeterminate coelurosaur Paleopteryx thomsoni (Kimmeridgian-Tithonian,
Morrison Formation of Colorado).  I don't consider troodontids
deinonychosaurs though, and I wouldn't say Paleopteryx is a deinonychosaur
for certain (coelurosaur for certain, maybe maniraptoran), so I would say
the Jurassic dromaeosaurids are the earliest certified deinonychosaurs.

Mickey Mortimer