RE: Birds, Fish, and the Class Ceratopsia (was RE: Response to Gould?)]

Ken Kinman wrote:

If you can convince any major university to
establish a Department of Ceratopsia which is equivalent to their Department
of Ornithology, then I will consider Ceratopsia as a separate class.

The corollary of that argument is that we should disband every Department of Parasitology. The subjects of that discipline are drawn from a vast array of different eukaryote groups, united not by common descent but by lifestyle.

    By the way, does anyone know if any universities have yet combined
their bird and reptile specimens into one big collection?

Quite a few, although they have put mammals, amphibians and fishes in with them, along with assorted invertebrates, and called it the "Department of Zoology".

;-)

Tim

Dr Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher