Re: a rose by any other name(was fish & dogs)

In a message dated 12/5/00 6:15:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeffmartz@earthlink.net writes:

> (e.g. "Pseudosuchia" means "false crocodile"
>  but it includes crocodiles...dear God we can't have that!  People who only
>  speak Latin might be confused!).

No, people who only speak Latin would have no idea what you were talking
about.  People who only speak Ancient Greek (as transliterated into Latin
letters) might be confused (dig, dig!) :-)

...along with those of us who think there should be a reason for giving a
particular name to a particular taxon, instead of just calling them "taxon
A", "taxon B", etc.

--Nick P.