When the going gets tough

Ever since I've been little, I've wanted to become "a paleontologist" when I grew up. Now, I'm in my first year of college, and that goal seems so much closer
--and so much farther away.
I'm struggling with my basic bio classes, & labs. It's a lot more work than I expected, and I seem to be failing. At times like this, I wonder if I'm really cut out to become a paleontologist, and consider going into a subject that's 'easier' for me,(Maybe art or archaeology) instead of this 'insane struggle'as classmates have dubbed it.
The fact is, it's tough to keep going, and some days (okay, forget some-- MANY) it seems my goal is mereley a dream, something utterly out of my reach, and I feel as if the world's taking great joy in pushing my failures into my face.
I know I'm not the only one who'se faced discouragement out there.
So, I'm asking for a little advice, please, folks:

What do YOU do when you're discouraged in your work?

also, on another line of thought:
love how my college's handled the dinosauria... they're currently ignored in my biology class (We've got reptiles and birds,though!)--
and currently all dinosaur-related things are handed over to the geology prof, at least to my knowledge.

-Jessica W.