RE: _Microraptor zhaoianus_

Tom Holtz wrote
*The metatarsal I and pedal digit I are very distally placed, and the
penultimate phalanx of each of the toes is elongate: Xu et al. interpret
this as indicating a climbing habit.

Xu says that the foot structure indicates a ground-living ancestry. One interesting suggestion from Xu is that Microraptor may have been neither purely arboreal nor ground-dwelling. Suppose it was something cat-like which dashed up the trees when it saw something interesting and edible up there.

Microraptor was obviously far later than Archaeopteryx, but they seem close. Suppose the common ancestor was a Microraptor-like animal adapted for predation both on the ground and in trees, so it never truly gave up ground-dwelling but spent a significant part of its life in the trees. The ability to glide down from the trees might offer an evolutionary benefit, giving an advantage to any dino-bird with flight feathers. Perhaps it started by extending pouncing range from tree limbs.

It's just a thought, but I think Xu may be onto something.
--
Jeff Hecht     Boston Correspondent    New Scientist magazine
525 Auburn St.,          Auburndale, MA 02466             USA