RE: When the going gets tough

Jessica,

I can truly relate to how you are feeling. After around six years in college, I am about to graduate with my bachelors in Geology. It has been an enormously long and hard road. This semester alone I've had to wade through such classes as Physics, Statistics, and Calculus. The thing that I've done to keep myself going is keep my eye on the prize. I've covered my dorm room with dinosaur items and pictures of me in the field (where I am happiest). Usually, after flinging my Calculus book across the room in frustration, I'll sit and look through a photo album of museums I've visited and paleo people I've met to help keep me on track. I know that it sounds silly, but it has actually helped me tremendously.

Also, once you're in your Geology or Biology classes, you'll meet other people in the same boat. While none of my Geology buddies are going into paleo, we still all had to take the same classes and could commiserate together. I've made some good friends there.

So don't give up, Jessica. It is a lot of hard work, but keep in mind just how worthwhile it will all be when you're finally done and can get on with what you really want to do. I hope that this wasn't too sappy and that it was helpful.

Sincerely,

Patty

When the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail,
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.
  Kipling, "The Female of the Species"

Patty Ralrick
Montana State University
100 Johnstone Hall Room 305